Monitoring UPS battery with SNMP

Hi all!

Recently we acquired a UPS Liebert (Emerson) PS1440RT2-230 where I was
investigating on the existence of some client for Debian GNU/Linux, but
the unique one that I could find provided by Emerson requires of a X

Since this host is a server, it would not be serving a graphical client.
Due to this, I'm working in script that can get the state of the UPS
battery using SNMP with snmpwalk.

From the web interface I could obtain in "Support-> Summary -> SNMP
Capabilities -> Parameters" the OIDs corresponding to the estimated
minutes remaining and the estimated charge remaining and both seem to

Estimated minutes remaining:

beta-new:~# snmpwalk -c community -v1
SNMPv2-SMI::mib- = INTEGER: 60

Estimated charge remaining:

beta-new:~# snmpwalk -c community -v1
SNMPv2-SMI::mib- = INTEGER: 100

The problem with this is that also I would need to know some parameter
that it indicates if the UPS is working on battery mode, because if I
also do not verify this, after the restitution of the electrical
provision, the host could doing a shutdown if the script makes the
verification of battery autonomy and this not yet exceeded the
determined limit.

Reading the RFC 1628 [1] (UPS Management Information Base), it could be
done with upsSecondsOnBattery, although I don't see listing it in the
OIDs of the web interface. Could also be done this with upsOutputSource
(upsOutputSource not equal to 3)?

Perhaps although already there is some client (Debian package) which
contemplates all these considerations and I'm trying to re-invent the
wheel :-)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1628
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37