Re: Timezones for Kontact seriously broken in Lenny

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 11:42 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:58:19 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > Hello, all.  We have some clients eager to migrate from
> > Exchange/Outlook/Windows to Debian Lenny.  Zimbra is working well on the
> > back end but is lacking as an Outlook replacement - great web interface
> > but still lacking some essential features.  Evolution does not support
> > Address Books from Zimbra so that leaves us with Kontact.  Kontact is
> > great except it seems seriously broken in several regards specifically
> > Korganizer.  The KDE response is to upgrade to KDE4.
>

> The fact is that upstream KDE developers have stopped the development of
> kde 3.5.x branch, so no more improvements are added to the existing
> programs. I think only critical bugs are still watched and fixed.
>

> > Since we are on
> > Lenny, we are on KDE 3.5 and we'd like to keep it that way until KDE4
> > matures a bit more.  How are Lenny users handling the crippling bugs?
>

> I was a KDE 3.5.x user for long time (2003-2010) but switched to GNOME as
> soon as the first KDE 4.0 came to scene (it was not intended for end-
> users but *we had* to deal with it and the result was many people
> searched another alternatives, me included).
>
> But now, KDE SC 4.4 has nothing to do with that times. Last time I tested
> I found it stable enough for daily use. So the advice of updating to KDE
> 4 (if you still want to use KDE) is now valid.
>

> > I did not see anything in backports.  Here's what we are seeing:
> >
> > Timezones: Any appointments synchronized with Korganizer from Zimbra are
> > interpreted as UTC.  Thus, all appointments are offset by our offset
> > from UTC.  This is the bug which is rendering it unusable and is
> > apparently well known.  I can't believe this is broken in a production
> > system.
> >
> > Malformed URIs: Calendar requests via IMAP are requesting
> > myserver.mycompany.com:993Calender instead of
> > myserver.mycompany.com:993/Calender.  We can work around this by using
> > webdav instead.
> >
> > This is crippling us on a potentially huge Lenny deployment.  Any know
> > fixes? Thanks - John
>

> Dunno how to manage this in Debian :-? but there is a dedicated list¹
> that may provide you more accurate help about this.
>
> ¹ http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/
<snip>
Ah, this is so deeply frustrating! KDE 4.4 sounds great but it is
nowhere to be found in Debian but in experimental and it sounds like it
is nowhere near ready for production.  3.5.10 is truly and completely,
unusably broken for calendaring other than in a standalone world.

It looks like Evolution has introduced webdav support for contacts in
2.24 and we can grab 2.28 from testing.  That sounds better than
experimental so maybe we need to abandon KMail (sigh) and think about
Evolution instead.  Thanks, all - John