Re: Installing 16GB CF card in HP 5700 terminal

W dniu 2010-04-28 09:46, Camaleón pisze:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:36:26 +0200, Krzysztof Walkiewicz wrote:

I try to install 16GB CF card in HP 5700 terminal via IDE cable and
adapter IDE--->CF. The problem is, that BIOS doesn't see this card.

Is that a "thin client"?

The BIOS should not see/detect the card "per-se" (adapter device is
handled transparently by the system) but in a normal situation¹ you
should be able to boot from IDE devices -whatever IDE bus has attached on
it-, is that is your goal.

I would ask HP about this. You may need a special/concrete adapter or
juts it is not even an option.

Also, check is the adapter is "in good shape" and works in another system.

¹ Normal situation: I mean, using a standard BIOS/motherboard. HP -as
many integrators do- modify/adapt computer BIOS to play nice with their
systems. Being this a "thin client", I would expect even a more
integration performed by the manufacturer.

Greetings,

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, this is a thin client. I solved the problem - it was a jumper that I needed to switch.
But now I have another problem:
During booting I have an error:

dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21

then, debian installer starts, byt after I set up partitions I get a message that system wasn't able to mount them.

I try to install the system (Debian Lenny) from USB stick, via SYSLINUX.
Am I nedd to add "ide=nodma" to the syslinux.cfg file?

Maybe somebody had same problem?

Krzysztof