Re: Questions about RAID 6

On 4/26/2010 2:29 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Mark Allums put forth on 4/26/2010 12:51 PM:

Put four drives in a RAID 1, you can suffer a loss of three drives.

And you'll suffer pretty abysmal write performance as well.

Also keep in mind that some software RAID implementations allow more than
two drives in RAID 1, most often called a "mirror set".  However, I don't
know of any hardware RAID controllers that allow more than 2 drives in a
RAID 1.  RAID 10 yields excellent fault tolerance and a substantial boost to
read and write performance.  Anyone considering a 4 disk mirror set should
do RAID 10 instead.

Yeah.  All good points.

I never make things clear. OP was thinking of doing software RAID with Linux md raid. Most of what I meant to say was/is with that in mind.

MAA