Re: xorg synaptics driver no longer working with udev?

On 27 April 2010 06:45, Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 00:29 -0500, francis southern wrote:
>> >
>> > I heard that it's back to xorg.conf again :)
>>
>> Oh dear Lord, I thought this was a joke....
>> For the record, I fixed my touchpad by adding it to Xorg.

Sorry, I sent this late last night, of course I meant to say "by
adding an entry to my xorg.conf file" or something. :)

> No, it was not a joke. I talked with Julien Cristeau the other day on
> IRC, because I thought that there are too many ways how Xorg can be
> configured these days (HAL, udev, xinput, gppointing-device-settings,
> xorg.conf, ..).

There really are, this is very confusing for mere mortals like me, and
there appears to be a lack of up-to-date information.
Perhaps someone with more knowledge could update:
http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad
As far as I can tell I'm using Xorg 7.6 with Squeeze, which there is
no mention of.

> Autoconfiguration of Xorg will be handled with udev by default starting
> with xorg-server 1.8 and user configuration should go to xorg.conf and
> he planned to upload a new package to sid soon.

Thanks for your help.