Re: backing up LVM volumes

Bernard wrote:
> Hi to Everyone !
>
> On my previous systems, I used to create overall backups of partitions,
> using 'SystemRescueCD'. This is no longer possible ever since 2007 that
> I have a RAID1 mirroring system on my Debian. SystemRescueCD does not
> backup LVM volumes, or, if it does, that must be a very new feature, and
> I have not found any doc on this.

Why do you want to backup LVM volumes instead of simply backing up your
data?

rsync -a /mounted/partition /directory/on/mounted/backup

backs up all I need. Read man rsync for its options.

> So, what should I do so as to backup my system ?  I once tried 'dd', but
> I think I remember it took forever, and I don't really know whether I
> would have been able to use the resulting file to successfully restore
> the partitions if needed.

dd will copy everything, including empty space.

> Could someone suggest something that has been successfully tried ?  Even
> 'dd' could do, if it is OK with LVM and if I get some details. I
> understand that I would have to unmount the partitions, but this is not
> a problem. I have two IDE mirrored disks of 200 GB each.

Why not just copy the data off the mounted partition. Even more simple
and faster.

--
Johannes

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the
humble reasoning of a single individual.
- Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)