Re: Filesystem recommendations

Kevin Ross put forth on 4/24/2010 9:46 PM:

> So if Btrfs were more mature, or if ZFS were included in the kernel, I'd
> recommend either of those.  But as it is, I think JFS is the way to go.

Except for the fact that JFS has almost zero development and/or bug fix
activity these days.  The project appears idle:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=jfs-commit

XFS on the other hand enjoys serious, sustained, active development:
http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_Status_Updates

XFS has been very mature, stable, and performant for many years, and
continues to become even better little by little.  I'm on the mailing list
and I see dozens of patches submitted _per day_.

There's nothing inherently wrong with JFS, but if it's not being
maintained/developed why use it?  All the principals are IBM employees, and
they're doing no work on it.  On top of that, they aren't allowing outside
developers.  The JFS project is pretty much dying on the vine for all
practical purposes.  The stale code will linger on in the kernel until IBM
abandons it or the project allows in developers who really want to work on it.

I'm guessing that Linus will boot it from the tree after it lingers without
substantial changes for a few years.

--
Stan