Re: how to setup my environment variable for vim ?

On Sat,24.Apr.10, 16:15:46, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> > Try putting this in ~/.bashrc:
> >
> > export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
>
> You can also make it a system wide configuration with
> "update-alternatives --config editor". I have not tried it shells
> other than bash but I assume it is portable.

Yep:

# update-alternatives --config editor
There are 3 choices for the alternative editor (providing /usr/bin/editor).

  Selection    Path                    Priority   Status
  0            /usr/bin/vim.nox         40        auto mode
  1            /usr/bin/mcedit-debian   25        manual mode
* 2            /usr/bin/vim.nox         40        manual mode
  3            /usr/bin/vim.tiny        10        manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

But it won't work if ncftp relies on $EDITOR:

$ echo $EDITOR

$

Regards,
Andrei