Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:33:14 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>> I am talking about the *standalone* durep package. I don't like the new
>> 0.9 version but rather prefer the old 0.8 version. However, even I've
>> put it on hold in dpkg/aptitude, from time to time if I do a 'aptitude
>> safe- upgrade', this durep package somehow get upgraded as well.
>
>   Can you provide any more information about this?  It shouldn't happen
> in any recent version of aptitude.

I can only give you partial information.

This is what I've been doing

 aptitude --purge-unused purge durep
 dpkg -i /linux/linux_bin/deb-pkgs/durep_0.8.1-7.1_all.deb
 aptitude install durep=

For how it happened, I need directions for where to look for such
"more information".

I only do 'aptitude safe-upgrade' sporadically, last time I did, less
than a month ago, there were nearly 200 packages need to be upgraded.

It is not the first time such thing happens, I agree with Monique's
obervation, "when aptitude is making suggestions to resolve conflicts, it
will un-hold packages."

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/