Re: Sudden reboots with Firefox and Flash

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:00:26 +0200, Nick Douma wrote:

> I recently built a new computer with the following specs:
>
> * Intel Core i7 930
> * Gigabyte X58A-UD7
> * OCZ Platinum XTC OCZ3P1333LV6GK (6GB DDR3) * Gigabyte GV-N275UD-896I
> (nVidia GeForce GT 275) * 2x 1TB Saamsung Spinpoint F1 HD102UJ * 2x
> 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS
>   - both in RAID0 using Intel Matrix RAID

I hope you also get a 1000 watts power supply to feed that equipment >:-)

> Here's the problem: I initially installed Windows 7 64bit on this pc.
> Whenever I tried to watch a Flash movie using Minefield and Adobe Flash
> 10.1, I would always get sudden reboots. It wasn't a BSOD, because I
> received no such screen and no memory dumps were made. Suspecting that
> it might be because of Minefield, I installed Firefox 3.6. I received
> the same results. Even using IE8 and Opera, I would reliably get sudden
> reboots when watching Flash movies. Fed up with this, I installed Debian
> Lenny as a dual boot.

(...)

> Can anyone advise me what to do from here on? I tried googling the
> initials Firefox + Flash problems, but nothing conclusive came up. I'm
> posting a message on this list, because the problem is not limited to
> just Windows, and I believe someone can give me some new insights on
> this problem.

So, as you already discarded FlashPlayer as unique source of your
reboots, I will take a look into:

1/ System overheating (reboots tend to happen due to high temperatures,
watch the BIOS CPU temps and control the rpm of the fans).

2/ RAM memory modules and voltages. Check the ram dimms are certified for
you motherboard and also, look into the BIOS voltages are the correct
ones for you type of ram.

3/ Hard disks health. You can test this with "smartcl".

Being a brand-new computer I would suspect for bad hardware or assembly
problems :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón