Re: Increasing number of conflicts

You sent just to me.  I'm sending back to the list and CC'ing you.

On Monday 19 April 2010 16:27:08 B. Alexander wrote:
> Thank you for this. I knew that aptitude had a an ncurses interface, but to
> be honest, it looked too similar to dselect, which dredged up some bad
> memories from about 10 years ago, when I was a Debian n00b... :)

I can understand.  I used dselect roughly once before my head exploded.

Though, some do really like the dselect interface (or at least are used to it)
and you can "theme" aptitude look very much like dselect.  (The behavior
remains much more sane.)

> Just out of curiosity, I upgraded today (to 0.6.2-1), and now I get a
> segfault when trying to do a full-upgrade or going into the ncurses
> interface:

> # aptitude full-upgrade
[...]
>   python-kde4: Depends: python-qt4 (< 4.7-2+~) but 4.7.3-1 is to be
> installed.
>                Depends: python-sip4 (>= <none>) but 4.10.2-1 is to be
> installed.
> Segmentation fault
>

> # aptitude
> Ouch!  Got SIGSEGV, dying..
> Segmentation fault
>
> Has anyone else seen this? I wanted to verify before opening a bug.

Check your kernel logs and see if anything bad is happening in the kernel or
hardware.  If not, it is probably a aptitude bug.  You can try installing the
version from Lenny or testing if the one from unstable is broken.  I use the
one from Lenny for handling mixed systems, so it should be able to handle most
things.

I do know that apt-get/aptitude is one of the first things you should upgrade
when moving oldstable->stable as the resolver in the newer versions handles
the multiple transitions easily.