Re: Epiphany browser continues to get worse and worse

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 22:32 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:25:11 -0400 (EDT), Alan Ianson wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed the same things. I've stuck with epiphany because it worked
> > so well for so long but there are times recently when I need to use
> > iceweasel. I think it's the switch from the gecko backend to webkit that
> > broke a lot of things that used to work well.
> >
> > I keep hoping that these problems can be resolved but time will tell. I
> > use unstable and downloading works fine but java apps that use the
> > plugin still don't work.
>
> That's not good news.  Which plugin?  The Sun non-free one?  There is one
> site that I used to use a lot that requires that to work.  (It's a stock
> analysis site.)  I haven't been in the market lately, but I expect to be
> active again at some point.  And when I do want to use it, I want it to
> work!

Yes, that's the one I use. There is progress with java in Epiphany. The
java test page...

http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1

does work as expected now where it didn't a short time ago. I'm happy
with the way Epiphany works now myself, but my gf likes to play games at
pogo.com and that website complains that the plugin isn't installed even
though it is, and I hear grumbling about that on a regular basis.. :)

> Why did they switch from gecko to webkit anyway?  It was working so well.
> I still use it in Lenny.  But not in Squeeze.  Not anymore.

I'm not certain but the devs must feel it's a good strategy for the
future...