Re: Dual channel memory question

Lisi put forth on 4/17/2010 10:04 AM:

> Would I be correct in taking this to mean  that the memory modules appear to
> be incorrectly installed, and that I could improve my memory performance by
> moving one of the modules that dual channel functions?  And also, if that

No, they are currently properly installed for dual channel operation.

> does not give me enough improvement (which it almost certainly won't), I
> could add another module in the third channel, which would not necessarily
> need to be the same size as the other two?

There is no 3rd channel.  There are 3 DIMM slots, but slots 2 and 3 are part
of the same channel.  The nForce2 northbridge chip for some odd reason was
designed to support 1 DIMM on channel 0 and 2 DIMMs on channel 1.

As long as you have a DIMM installed in slot 1 and a DIMM installed in
either or both of slots 2 and 3, you are running in dual channel mode.

# of DIMM slots does not equal # of memory bus channels.  As an example, the
Compaq Proliant 5000 quad Pentium Pro server had 16 DIMM slots but only a
single memory "channel".  Back then they called it a "bus", which is the
proper electrical engineering term.  "Channel" didn't come along until much
later when vendors started installing multiple memory buses.  I guess the
marketing folks thought "channel" sounded better than "bus".

--
Stan