Re: Bash script - pass command line arg to embedded sed script with multiple args

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 08:15:38PM -0400, Daniel D Jones wrote:
What I'm trying to do is pretty simple.  Getting it to work is turning out not
to be.  What I want to do is call a bash script with a couple of arguments,
and, within the script, call sed to use those args to replace two placeholders
in a file:

bashscript SUB1 SUB2

This line inside bashscript doesn't work:

sed -e 's/PLACEHOLDER1/$1/' -e 's/PLACEHOLDER2/$2/' < input > output

If you switch the single quotes to double quotes it will work as you expect. Variables inside of double quotes are expanded. Single quotes are for literal strings, as you've discovered.

me