Re: C programming question

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:09:43 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:43:21 -0400 (EDT), Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-04-15 19:37, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to be filing a bug report against parted for (a) miscalculating
>>> the starting block of the implicit partition on an ldl (Linux Disk Layout)
>>> formatted disk on the s390 architecture when the block size is other than
>>> 4096, and (b) no support for CMS-formatted disks.
>>
>> If practical, I hope you file 2 bugs.
>
> I hear you.  I'll have to look at the code to see if that's easily separated
> out.  I started with the purpose of adding an enhancement to support CMS
> formatted disks.  I stumbled across the bug in the starting block calculation
> for ldl formatted disks in the process.  CMS formatted disks are handled
> *exactly* the same as ldl formatted disks if the disk is not reserved.  I
> would have had to fix that bug anyway to add support for CMS disks, since
> I wanted the CMS support to be correct.  The only wrinkle was correctly
> handling reserved CMS disks.  To do that I had to access the reserved block
> offset in the CMS label, which prompted this thread.
>
> All of this is specific to the s390 architecture and has no bearing on i386,
> amd64, ia64, etc.  I hope upstream (GNU, I believe) will accept the fix.
> I have no reason to believe that they won't.

It appears impractical to separate the enhancement from the fix, since the
former is dependent on the latter.  I will open the bug report as a wishlist
enhancement request and provide the patches.  If it is accepted, the LDL
bug will get fixed too as a fringe benefit.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :