Re: How to recover boot floppy in Lenny

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:15:12 -0300, Mauricio Contreras wrote:
>
>> I have a dual boot setup and was using Lenny booting GRUB from a floppy.
>> The floppy is busted, now when I use Supergrub to boot there's no sound.
>>
>> Is there any way either I can recreate the boot disk from the system to
>> another floppy or a new CD? This Lenny install worked wonderfully!
>
> You mean there is no sound "after" you login?
>
> I fail to see any relation with that fact (no sound) and the bootloader
> being located in a floppy disk or SuperGrubDisk so I would investigate
> first why the sound stopped from working.
>
> OTOH, shouldn't be easier to keep the bootloader installed natively into
> the hard disk, either MBR or first sector of a partition rather than in a
> floppy disk?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>

> --

Dear Camaleon:

I recovered sound in Lenny after booting with SuperGrub and running
alsaconf as root. I picked up my old SoundBlaster Live card and the
emu10k1 module with alsaconf and set it up as the main sound card
(there's also an integrated AC'97 in the motherboard) card with
index=0. Then sound came back.

I'm surprised because when I installed Lenny with netinst sound was on
from the beginning. I added Flash from the non free repository,
installed it, and I listened to YouTube. I was all set.

I was very happy booting Lenny from a floppy, but when my floppy
screwed up I had no backup floppy (dumb) and used SuperGrub. At the
first boot there was no system sound; Amarok, Juk nor Flash videos
worked.

I was using Squeeze and the problems were worse with sound, Flash, and
Grub2, so I installed Lenny.

My disks are set up as follows:

IDE 80 GB hda: 2 partitions hd0, 40 GB --- windows xp boot; hd1, 40 GB
--- windows xp data files
SATA 80 GB sda 1 partition sda 80 GB -- windows data files
SATA 500 GB sdb 1 partition sdb (??) 500 GB ---lenny

I haven't been able to configure Grub 0.94 to boot in this setup so I
have used SuperGrub or a bootable floppy with Lenny.
Could you point me to an appropiate grub setup?

Mauricio Contreras
Buenos Aires, Argentina.