Re: Dual channel memory question

Aioanei Rares put forth on 4/15/2010 7:06 PM:

>> Are you guys displaced Ubuntu users who landed on debian-user after a
>> tornado came through Kansas?  ;)

I guess you've never seen "The Wizard of Oz".

> You made me dig my latest mobo's manual :) [Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3], which
> says plainly : "The four DDR2 memory sockets are divided into two
> channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following :
> Channel 0 : DDRII_1, DDRII_3
> Channel 2 : DDRII_1, DDRII_4"

You typo'd that.  It should be:

Channel 0 : DDRII_1, DDRII_3
Channel 1 : DDRII_2, DDRII_4

> Please refrain from making such "wise" comments as , even if you're
> right, you're damaging Debian's image and yours.

I'm not sure how you come to that, but, ok..

Gigabyte has screwed up the DIMM slot color coding on the GA-M56S-S3, at
least according to the manual.  I just looked at Intel, Asus, and other
Gigabyte boards and they all follow the correct alternating color pattern.

Aioanei, you've based your entire argument on your knowledge of a single
main board.  This board was incorrectly manufactured, or the manual text is
incorrect.  Yes, manufacturers do make mistakes.  Look at the ATA_HORKAGE
blacklist sections in libata-core.c to see lists of hard drives the
manufacturers screwed up.  All of the Goliaths are in there, Hitachi,
Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital.  They're all shipped drives that don't
meet one spec or another.  If these Goliaths can screw up, I guarantee you a
tiny company like Gigabyte can, and probably does so far more often.

Now, go look at the DIMM socket colors and layout pattern on the Intel,
Asus, and yes, other Gigabyte boards to see what the proper color coding for
dual channel memory sockets is, and look at the text descriptions of the
slot and channel numbers.  This GA board is an anomaly, and is flawed in
this regard.

Take a look at the RHS of my email address.  That's my personal domain.
They call me TheHardwareFreak for a reason. ;)

The odds against me making a factually incorrect statement here about
hardware are so high you should place a standing bet with your local bookie. :P

--
Stan