Re: recent mobo recommendation

Hugo Vanwoerkom put forth on 4/15/2010 2:34 PM:

> That's a real pain.
> NewEgg has no filter on netcards for mobo's

Yeah, I know, it sucks.  I wasted a lot of time doing research for a
chips.  It's a slow process.  See if you can find a way to ask for that
search criteria.  I'll do the same.  Might have to call customer service.
It would be really nice to see that option.  BTW, ever tried finding Atom
based mobos on Newegg?  That's a pain also.  They're only listed in the
mobo-vga-cpu combo section.  Before that they were in the server motherboard
section, or at least some were.

If you're an Intel guy, look at Intel brand mobos only as most of them have
Intel ethernet chips, eg e100/e1000 driver.  Some Intel boards do have
Realtek ethernet chips so pay attention.

On the AMD side, look for motherboards with nVidia chipsets which usually
have ethernet build into the MCP southbridge.  Sometimes, to get everything
you want, you end up buying a PCI/e NIC and disabling the onboard.  I know
some sysops who do this as a matter of course because they're convinced any
on-board "free" NIC is cheap and thus not reliable.  So they go buy an e1000
card, and it's the same damn chip lol.  Anyway...

--
Stan