Re: Trunk Kernel

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:16 -0400, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> Is the 'Trunk' kernel needed for Debian? I installed Squeeze and it
> defaulted to the 'Trunk' kernel. I was told the Trunk kernel is no
> longer supported or available. Is this true? I am confused because it
> still installed and Virtualbox doesn't like it. I have to switch to
> the default "2.6.32-3-amd64" kernel.

Hi Carlos,

you are not the first who runs into this problem, but it is fairly easy
to solve. The problem with the -trunk- kernel is that it does not adhere
to the typical naming scheme and the scripts shipped with grub-common do
not handle it as they should, because they lack the necessary
exceptions. If you are interested in the details you can read the bug
report [1], but I guess that you rather want to solve the problem.

You can list the currently installed kernel with

    aptitude search ~i~n^linux-image

and I would suggest to install the linux-image-2.6-amd64 metapackage,
which always depends on the installable kernel version (at least it
should).

    $ apt-cache depends linux-image-2.6-amd64
    linux-image-2.6-amd64
      Depends: linux-image-2.6.32-3-amd64

So installing that package will make sure that you always have the
newest kernel. You will notice that due to aforementioned bug [1] grub
still boots the -trunk- kernel by default, but you can easily solve that
by selecting the -3- kernel manually at the grub boot prompt and
removing the -trunk- kernel afterwards.

have fun :)

  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
 : :'  :
 `. `'`     4096R/CAF14EFC
   `-       081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC