Re: Trunk Kernel

On 20100413_101637, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> Is the 'Trunk' kernel needed for Debian? I installed Squeeze and it
> defaulted to the 'Trunk' kernel. I was told the Trunk kernel is no
> longer supported or available. Is this true? I am confused because it
> still installed and Virtualbox doesn't like it. I have to switch to
> the default "2.6.32-3-amd64" kernel.
>
> Anyone know?

I read an explanation on this list a few weeks ago. The author, who
seemed to be knowledgable, said that kernels with 'trunk' in their
name are intended for internal use of the debian kernel team only and
were never intended for release into the wild. But it happened.  If
your interested in how it happened and/or who to blame, search the
archives. I suspect you will be utterly bored by the details that you
find.

I have found that using the business-card install, instead of netinst,
eliminates the problem. An recent netinst CD image may also fix it.

YMMV

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net