Re: Automating xmodmap keymaps

Andrea Ganduglia wrote:
> You can try with .xinitrc and/or .xsession, it should work.
> Alternatively, you can try with .bachrc file, but in this way command
> will be execute every time you open a shell session (i.e. open a
> terminal): I suggest you to prevent this with a little bit code:
>
> if [ `cat /tmp/$USER-keymaps.load` -ne 1 ]; then
>    xmodmap keymaps
>    echo 1 > /tmp/$USER-keymaps.load
> fi

This is a very bad idea if it is a multi-user machine: the test is
vulnerable to a race and the predictable filename could be used by
a third party to make you overwrite other files.

The xmodmap invocation will also fail if you initially log in via a
non-graphical root from time to time (via a console or SSH for
example)

Better to either use .xsession or "System -> Preferences -> Startup
Applications" in the GNOME menu.