Re: udev & /dev/sdaX & lenny2squeeze

Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
Hi,

I just migrate my desktop from lenny to squeeze and after installing all new packages and reboot the system hang at the boot process asking for the root password because it can't find /dev/sdaX, where X=2,6,7,8,9. All are valid partitions. root is /dev/sda5 and it is the only partition mounted. fdisk /dev/sda says that /dev/sda not found. Indeed ls /dev/sd* shows only /dev/sdY, with Y=c,d,e,f,f1, no /dev/sdZ, where Z=a*,b*. I try MAKEDEV sda but it says that because .udev is present it must abort.

I can't use the system in this state. Any ideas?

It is funny to mention that booting with a rescue disk and making
a tar file with /dev/sdaX files,which can be used then to (re-)make the
/dev/sdaX at the normal boot make the system usable again.

So, it looks like udev doesn't want to make /dev/sdaX or even worse
it simply deletes those entries...

Ionel