Re: Migrate OS to smaller drive?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:30:14 -0500, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
wrote:
> On 2010-04-11 18:49, thib wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> Yes, "wire" is slang for network cables, but SATA cables are actual
>>> wires too and orders of magnitude slower than CPU/RAM transfer.
>>
>> This is true, but isn't relevant to what you suggested.
>> Think about it some more.

>> Oh yes.
>>
>> We'll never talk about this again, I promise.
>>
>> -thib
>>
>> PS  I'll tell you something embarrassing about me if you find a SATA
>> controller that can inflate.
>>

> You're absolutely correct.  This time...

I've used dd to push a copy of a working system onto larger drives in the
past. So my misuse of the term "migrate" is me actually doing a copy of the
working system to a new, larger device and then zap the original.

I'd hoped there was a block by block way to do it so I didn't have to set
up the partitions & filesystems ahead of time but I suppose that part won't
be too painful.

The system is relatively idle during these types of surgeries because I
boot from a live CD so the data on disk isn't churning.

Thanks to all who responded, it gave me a lot to consider for this type of
project. Like doing proper diffs afterwards to make sure everything landed
on the new device properly!