Re: Migrate OS to smaller drive?

On 2010-04-11 08:29, Clive McBarton wrote:

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
mount the new device (mount -odev /dev/newdevice), and do a
  rsync -ax / /media/newdevice.
What exactly is the advantage of this approach over "cp -a" or "mv"?
Over mv? That you keep the original files.

Of course. But in this case the OP said "migrate".

Ooooo.  Remind me never to have you work on my computer.

Never destroy the original until you know the copy works!

Over cp? That you can resume from where you left off in case the
transfer is stopped for any reason.

Useful point. With cp you'd have to start over.

What are the disadvantages of rsync? E.g., doesn't it compress and
decompress everything,

Only if you want it to.

                       hence hogging the CPU

You won't be doing anything else at the time...

                                            and possibly slowing transfers?

Hah. Speeding up transfers is more likely, since the wire is always the bottleneck, and compression means it will be carrying "more bits per bit".

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?