Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:12:04AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 10 April 2010 00:42, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> > Stephen Powell put forth on 4/8/2010 9:38 PM:
> >
> >> For some reason, this well-known proverb is going through my head:
> >>
> >>    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
> >>    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
> >>
> >> I'd rather learn to fish.
> >
> > This is exactly the reason I chose Debian 10 years ago when I was looking
> > for my first Linux distro.  I told a friend I wanted a server distro that
> > wasn't going to spoon feed me, but make me learn something about Linux.
> >
> > Casey, a seasoned Debian sysadmin, recommended I download the Debian net
> > install floppies and do my first install from the mirrors, only a compact
> > base install, and to install everything else I needed by hand with apt.
> > That was Potato with a 2.2 kernel.
> >
> > I only use Linux for non-GUI servers.  I don't use desktop Linux.  All my
> > admin'ing requires knuckle busting. ;)  And I like it that way.
> >

> But you do understand that desktop users _don't_ want to learn about
> their OS, correct? They want the computer to be as transparent as
> possible in their workflow.

Debian is a fantastic OS, created by brilliant people with a brilliant
vision.  It is not as difficult for the diligent layman as its reputation
implies if he/she knows and sticks to their original goals as a user.

However, it may never be the desktop candidate for fun exploration during
family hour, excepting the the technologically inclined and strange wannabes
like myself.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman