Re: gforce 9400

Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:02:06 +0200, steef wrote:

got myself a asusrock standard atx mobo with a gforce 9400 (nvidia) in a
pci-express slot. i have to use the 195 4driver from *their* site. the
standard lenny driver for nvidia does not support this hardware. (or am
i wrong??)
Mmmm... is that "9400 GT"? If yes, maybe the stock nvidia kernel module
available in Lenny may work.

I've got installed "173.14" from debian repos and AFAIK, nvidia driver
(173.08) at least supported that card (9400 GT).

well: everything works fine except for ane thing: sometimes, quite
unexspected, my screen freezes completely; a nuisance.

somebody with maybe the same experience and a solution for this driver
problem?
That's annoying :-(

I would first try with "nv" driver (no 3D accel) to discard the freeze
coming from another source. If using "nv" driver and you get no more
freezes, then you can safely blame the nvidia driver and try by searching
your same issue in the usual way:

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=nvidia+debian+freezes&fp=b50e415e8c6b0d49

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s&forumid=14

Another option could be trying with an older nvidia driver (from their
website) as newer nvidia drivers may have glitches with older xorg
relases.

P.S. I am not seeing any relevant error (EE) or warning (WW) message in
the provided Xorg log file.

Greetings,

thanks for your answers. i tried to install xserver-xorg-video-nv on my (simple) machine asusrock g41m-s with the bios adapted. i could of course install the nv-driver but this driver did not appesr in /etc/X11. maybe a hardware problem: a bad card or something like that???

before that i tried (after having used the newest nvidia-driver) it with several older nvidia-drivers, startting with the 185 && grom their site. no good results: my machine-screens keep freezing with a moving mouse and anything else stuck completely. again: a hardware problem???

yut i am not stuck myself. i hung my hanss-g cable on the onboard intel-x4500 chip, loaded up xserver-xorg-video-intel and now everything is working ok, but somewhat less sophisticated): i can go on keeping the books of our business.

please! some further suggestions??

k.r.

steef