Re: gforce 9400

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:02:06 +0200, steef wrote:

> got myself a asusrock standard atx mobo with a gforce 9400 (nvidia) in a
> pci-express slot. i have to use the 195 4driver from *their* site. the
> standard lenny driver for nvidia does not support this hardware. (or am
> i wrong??)

Mmmm... is that "9400 GT"? If yes, maybe the stock nvidia kernel module
available in Lenny may work.

I've got installed "173.14" from debian repos and AFAIK, nvidia driver
(173.08) at least supported that card (9400 GT).

> well: everything works fine except for ane thing: sometimes, quite
> unexspected, my screen freezes completely; a nuisance.
>
> somebody with maybe the same experience and a solution for this driver
> problem?

That's annoying :-(

I would first try with "nv" driver (no 3D accel) to discard the freeze
coming from another source. If using "nv" driver and you get no more
freezes, then you can safely blame the nvidia driver and try by searching
your same issue in the usual way:

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=nvidia+debian+freezes&fp=b50e415e8c6b0d49

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s&forumid=14

Another option could be trying with an older nvidia driver (from their
website) as newer nvidia drivers may have glitches with older xorg
relases.

P.S. I am not seeing any relevant error (EE) or warning (WW) message in
the provided Xorg log file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón