Re: SCSI tape library & ISCSI

Mirco Piccin put forth on 4/9/2010 9:39 AM:
> Hi,
>
>> it's possible to manage a SCSI tape library (IBM 3581) with ISCSI?
>> I need to use that library attached to a server into another server...
>
> well, the aim is to share the tape library across the network..
> Is there a way (iscsi or other) to do the job?

All you need is an iSCSI bridge such as one of these ATTO units:

http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?cat=5&scat=8&sku=IPBR-2600-DR0
http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?cat=5&scat=8&sku=IPBR-1550-DR0

They'll make that SCSI tape library appear on the iSCSI network as any
normal iSCSI device.

The 8581 doesn't allow multiple concurrent host access as it was designed in
the late 1990s strictly as a single host direct attach tape libraby.  Thus
you'll need to make sure only one host is accessing the tape library at a
time over iSCSI.  Attempting concurrent access will cause problems and data
loss.

CAVEAT:

Is your IBM 3581 a model L1x or H1x?  H1x uses a high voltage differential
SCSI interface.  It is NOT compatible with the ATTO bridges above which are
both U320 LVD SCSI devices.  LVD stands for Low Voltage Differential.  If
you have the 3581 H1x you will need an iSCSI bridge with a high voltage
differential SCSI port such as this:

http://www.testequipmentconnection.com/products/28976

If you plug an HVD SCSI device into an LVD only port or vice versa, the LVD
device will be permanently damaged and ruined as a result.  "High Voltage"
means exactly that.  Never never plug HVD SCSI into LVD SCSI.

Hope this information helps you.  Good luck.

--
Stan