Re: non-ASCII environment

Stephen Powell writes:
> Yes, Hercules is an IBM mainframe emulator.  But the problem is
> licensing.  There are some *very old* releases of IBM operating
> systems that have passed into the public domain that you can run on
> the Hercules emulator.

Which should suffice for testing his software with EBCDIC.

> These are circa 1975 or so, which is about 35 years ago.  An example
> is VM/SP Release 6.  The problem is that those operating systems don't
> have a C compiler or a POSIX interface.

Are there any copies of MTS (Michigan Terminal System) around?  It would
be in the public domain and I know it had a C compiler: I used it to
teach myself C.

My wife would love to have MTS back again (of course, she'd insist on a
full set of printed manuals...)
--
John Hasler