Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

> (1) No need to CC me; I am subscribed to the list.

Sorry, I will try to remember. Gmail has random
to-whom-the-message-will-be-replied-to behaviour, and furthermore I
prefer that I get CCed. So I usually play it safe.

> (2) I see that you (and a number of others) have had fun with parodies of
>    the "give a fish / teach to fish" parable, but its point is still valid.

Only for users who are willing to learn. Most are not.

> (3) If you are unwilling to teach, then there is no reason why your
>    technological dependents would not be just as happy with an appropriately
>    installed and configured Debian system as they would be with an Ubuntu
>    system.

I am willing to teach! However I know that my users do not want a CS
degree from Dotan University. They want "how to" not "why".

> (4) If you are unwilling to teach, then don't come here for support, because
>    that's what you're asking us to do.  Why should we do for you what you
>    are not willing to do for others?

When I do post here I ask "why" and "show me where tfm is because I've
googled and cannot find it". I have _never_ asked a question that a
simple google query would answer if one does not already know the
right keywords. And I always try to ask where I could have learned the
information for myself. I prefer that answers to the few questions
that I post are answered with RTFM and a link, rather than just doing
my homework for me. Don't dismiss me as "dear lazyweb".

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com