Re: Going wireless

T o n g wrote:
Hi,

I always use wired network for my laptop because I don't know how to properly get wireless going. I've been to web sites like the following but they all look rather complicated.

The basics of wireless LAN interface
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
ch05.en.html#_the_basics_of_wireless_lan_interface

Wireless network setup
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-HOWTO-5.html

wireless utilities
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation

Now I want to try just again. So, what packages do I need to install in order to get my wire-networked laptop going wireless? What are the configuration (and troubleshooting) steps?
Thanks

Hi,
1. Check do you have WiFi drivers
2. Install all what was Celejar mention. If you have KDE knetworkmanager is ok. In Gnome there is some Gnome variant of network manager and for everything else you can use Wicd.
3. Execute iwconfig to check is everything ok

Only tricky part can be driver installation if you have some evil WiFi card and sometimes find your router if ssid is hidden.

Troubleshooting steps depends on type of trouble. If you will have some, tell us.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic