Re: Going wireless

T o n g wrote:
Hi,

I always use wired network for my laptop because I don't know how to properly get wireless going. I've been to web sites like the following but they all look rather complicated.

The basics of wireless LAN interface
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
ch05.en.html#_the_basics_of_wireless_lan_interface

Wireless network setup
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-HOWTO-5.html

wireless utilities
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation

Now I want to try just again. So, what packages do I need to install in order to get my wire-networked laptop going wireless? What are the configuration (and troubleshooting) steps?

You have received good answers to your *broad* question.

One thing that was not mentioned was that you have to be sure that your wireless (card, usb dongle, pcmcia card) actually works with Linux or does it require ndiswrapper.

A web search will show you that some adapters have been made to work on Ubuntu but for some reason they don't work on Debian (yet).

Are you going to be using a WPA or WEP access point? Sore adapters don't do WPA.

Just a heads up before you take the plunge.  Research, Research, Research.

Wayne