Re: udev & /dev/sdaX & lenny2squeeze

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 05:58:32 -0400 (EDT), Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:

> I just migrate my desktop from lenny to squeeze and after installing all
> new packages and reboot the system hang at the boot process asking for
> the root password because it can't find /dev/sdaX, where X=2,6,7,8,9.
> All are valid partitions. root is /dev/sda5 and it is the only partition
> mounted. fdisk /dev/sda says that /dev/sda not found. Indeed ls /dev/sd*
> shows only /dev/sdY, with Y=c,d,e,f,f1, no /dev/sdZ, where Z=a*,b*. I
> try MAKEDEV sda but it says that because .udev is present it must abort.
>
> I can't use the system in this state. Any ideas?
>
> If nothing I will try to boot with knoppix or the net-install testing CD
> and chroot into the system to attempt a kernel compilation. But I am not
> sure if the kernel is problematic at the moment.

Migrating from Lenny to Squeeze (or any migration, really) is tricky.
You can't just change your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to the
squeeze repositories and then do "aptitude update;aptitude full-upgrade".
The problem you are describing above is only the first of your problems
if you have done that.  You need to follow the upgrade outline mentioned
in the Release Notes.  You didn't say how you did it, and it's too late
in any case, but I just wanted to mention that while we're on the subject.

Assuming that you did the migration properly, this may be a device name
issue.  There's been some problems with device names recently, particularly
with IDE hard disks.  It hasn't happened to me, but others have reported
device names going from /dev/hdx to /dev/sdx and back again with
subsequent maintenance.  You may have to boot from a rescue disk,
edit your /etc/fstab to change device names, according to what they
are now, and rebuild your initial RAM file system.

If that is the issue, an alternative to traditional device names is
to use UUIDs.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :