Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
But the biggest reason that I run Ubuntu is to
promote it. I have done tens of installs for friends, neighbours, and
family. I need to be familiar with what they are running. Debian just
needs a bit too much work, a bit too much handholding, and a bit too
much explaining things.

Interesting.  This is the opposite of my experience, where I started friends out on Ubuntu as a way to break them into Linux but they found the amount of updates annoying, and there were some instability issues at different times.  So I switched them to Lenny - sure it took a little more to set up, but now it is set up and stays that way, unlike my/their experiences with Ubuntu.  It's pretty much zero maintenance for me, unlike when they had Ubuntu on their computers.  5 updates a week, if that many?  I'll take it.

Plus, if I can use a non-company based OS that won't install, for example, Ubuntu One, without my choice to not install it, I'll choose that path.  I was kinda disappointed to see Ubuntu starting to include bloatware in their last few releases, just my experience though.

Mark