Correct way to (re)compile a kernel on Debian Sid

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of traffic lately about how to compile a fresh kernel, from debian ou vanilla, in this list. After the changes in make-kpkg and kernel-package, I'm now completely lost. Before the changes, I just had to issue make-kpkg with --initrd (and others) flags, and 1) the kernel was compiled, 2) a initrd was created, 3) a debian package was created, both for image and headers, and after installation, 4) grub (1 or 2!) was updated with the proper lines for the kernel and the initrd. But no more. Either the initrd is not created, or when it's created it is not included on grub, or the kernel dies with the VFS error.

I also noted that the README, man pages and Changelog of the kernel-package are not synchronized, and I've could't find on google a good howto or at least a man page that describes a way to reproduce the easy 1-2-3-4 from above (I don't need to mess with package creation or portability - I just want to compile a plain kernel on my laptop to try to get rid of the firmware-iwlwifi bug that plagues the Intel 5300AGN). Could a good soul point to me a howto or the steps necessary to redo the old make-kpkg way, at least for a kernel.org kernel?

Thank you

Ivan