OT: Script to add line to file if it doesn't exist

I'm asking you folks, 'cause y'all know this stuff (I've been wrestling with this simple task all day).

I've got a text file; I just want a script (a one-liner sed or awk command, etc, would be awesome) to check to see if the file contains a certain line of text, and if not, to add that line at the bottom of the file.

For example, say the file has these four lines in it:

john
mary
fred
martin

I want a script that will read the file and look for the name "fred", and if it's found, leave the file alone, but if it's not found, to add the name "fred" to the bottom of the file.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

--
Kent West        <")))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com