Re: 'looking up xxxx' forever

On 2010-04-06 15:28, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:20:11 -0400 (EDT), Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
But what would I be looking for?

You would be looking for DHCP-related packets that would
identify the length of the DHCP lease.  I've never used wireshark;
I only know conceptually the kinds of things it can do; so if you
need specific help in this area, someone else will have to help you.

Wireshark (and tshark, it's CLI brother) is really handy about decoding packets into human-readable form. Combine that with "grep -iv" to filter out what you don't want to see.

My concern is that, since the upstream dhcpd sends the lease info at the moment of negotiation, you'd need to start tshark *before* pon and I don't know if tshark will see the new interface and start capturing on it.

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower