Re: Umont ownership?

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 19:55:00 -0700, jeremy jozwik wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> - On standard hard drives this should not happen. Try to debug "umount
>> - v /mnt/device" using the console. Also, check "dmesg" for additional
>> information.
>
> $ umount -v /dev/sdb1
> could not umount /media/video - trying /dev/sdb1 instead umount:
> /dev/sdb1: not mounted
> umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount could not umount
> /media/video - trying /dev/sdb1 instead umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
> umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount

Were you running that command as "root" (or sudo) user?

> $ su
> Password:
>
> # umount -v /dev/sdb1
> /dev/sdb1 umounted

Uh? So it works fine for root user...

O.K., Let me check with my USB flash drive. After I plugg it:

***
sm01@stt008:~$ mount | grep fat
/dev/sdc1 on /media/disk type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=1000)
***

I try to umount it:

***
sm01@stt008:~$ umount /media/disk
***

And now I verify it has been "really" umounted:

***
sm01@stt008:~$ mount | grep fat
***

Seems to be working here for my plain user.

You can check 2 more things:

- Permissions of the mounted device ("mount" will tell)

- Does this happen whith any kind of media you connect in USB ports (USB
flash drives, media devices, etc...) or just happens with a concrete
device?

>> - "lsof" lists the opened files, you could also check that...

> im not using the drives through any applications other then terminal.
> and before unmounting i exit the directory or close the terminal window.

There can be operations left in background that may prevent umounting the
device... "lsof" will tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón