Re: Umont ownership?

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:11:53 -0700, jeremy jozwik wrote:

> hello list, after a recent system drive migration ive noticed that the
> right click unmont in lenny 5.0.2 no longer cleanly unmounts.
>
> i get a dialog box saying cannot unmont blah blah...  the drives are not
> being accessed at the time.
> since umount is not a package that i can reinstall [as far as i know] im
> wondering if my main user account does not have permissions to run
> umont?

Try to login with another user and see what happens.

> im just guessing here so i changed chmod to all users write read
> whathave you. that seemed, at first, to fix the problem. but it is back
> now.
>
> ownership of umount is root now. im wondering if that is the correct
> setting.

Some tips:

- There are some USB devices out there (mainly iPod, mp4 players and
mobile phones) that indeed do not work with just the "umounting" action.
They need to be first "ejected" and then "umounted". It just happened to
me this weekeknd whan I plugged my mobile phone in usb storage mode. I
umounted the device but the warning messages was presented to me. I just
ignored it...

- On standard hard drives this should not happen. Try to debug "umount -
v /mnt/device" using the console. Also, check "dmesg" for additional
information.

- "lsof" lists the opened files, you could also check that...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón