Re: Running GNOME with 128 MB RAM - Painfully slow?

On 2010-04-04 23:28, Tech Geek wrote:

Based on my specs (800 MHz CPU and 128 MB RAM) and [1], I still should be
able to operate GNOME and some of the apps. However even opening gedit
brings the system to crawl which is so surprising. I will add some swap and
see if that makes a difference although I am not counting on it based on my
past expereince.

[1] http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.0/#performance

Except that Gnome 2.0.2 is really, *really* old. Ubuntu 9.04 on a laptop with an 1800MHz CPU and 256MB RAM is dog slow.

It's all about the RAM, really.

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower