Re: NOW: Stay away from lshw! WAS: Retrieve hardware and modules info..

On 2010-04-05 00:19 +0200, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> With some Google help I figured out how to fix the missing
> /var/lib/dpkg/available problem and got lshw removed.  Hopefully there's no
> remaining hidden damage on my server.

The lesson from this problem is that it is a bad idea to put /var on
ext2, and that a journaling filesystem should be used instead.  I had
learned that the hard way, too.

> I don't think I'll ever be messing
> with lshw again.  It could be that it expects something my old server
> doesn't have, and locks the machine when attempting to probe said
> non-existent device.  Regardless, a production level (stable) information
> gathering tool should never hard lock a machine, no matter what, nor cause
> any kind of damage.  I could understand installing a beta device driver
> doing this, but an information gathering tool causing a lockup?

You are shooting the messenger.  lshw is a userspace program, not a
device driver.  If running it locks up your system, this is almost
surely a bug in the kernel.

Sven