Re: Retrieve hardware and modules info..

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 10:37:34 +1000
Lubos Rendek <lubos@linuxconfig.org> wrote:

> HI guys,
>
> Suppose that I have a some laptop in my hands and I would like to find
> out what hardware this laptop has and what is supported by Debian out
> of the box by which modules.  Is there any tool which will be able to
> retrieve all important hardware information. I know that this can be
> achieved by series of commands like lsmod, lspci, lsusb or cat
> /proc/*files* and etc.  I'm just wondering if there is a simpler way
> which I do not know about to get this job done.

$ apt-cache show lshw

 A small tool to provide detailed information on the hardware
 configuration of the machine. It can report exact memory
 configuration, firmware version, mainboard configuration, CPU version
 and speed, cache configuration, bus speed, etc. on DMI-capable x86
 systems, on some PowerPC machines (PowerMac G4 is known to work) and AMD64.
 .
 Information can be output in plain text, HTML or XML.

Celejar