Re: No updates seen in a while

John Hasler wrote:
> "S.D.A." writes:
>> Precisely, far too many lists on Debian and they could use some
>> consolidation. My view is if an issue affects users of Debian; then it
>> should be posted to the 'user' lists.

No.

debian-user is for "Help and discussion among users of Debian".

debian-announce is for "Important announcements".

cf. http://lists.debian.org/users.html

There are many different needs of different people. A higher number of
mailing lists makes it just easier to accommodate all these needs. (It
is rather simple to subscribe and unsubscribe).

> Many "users" cannot tolerate the high volume of debian-user but need to
> see announcements.  These people subscribe only to the low-volume
> "announce" lists.  On the other hand it is hard to see why those who can
> tolerate the high volume here cannot also subscribe the the low-volume
> "announce" lists.

And even users tolerating the high volume of d-u might want to have an
important announcement stand out (with a different 'to') for easy
filtering.

Cheers,
Johannes