Re: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:48:50 -0400 (EDT), briand wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:25:49 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>> This file is classified as a "configuration file",
>> and therefore user modifications
>> to it are preserved.
>
> except that I didn't modify it, so it should have been overwritten with
> a file which would have allowed lilo to run.
>
> I seem to remember being asked if I wanted config files overwritten
> when they are found to differ from what the package wants to install.

Two things are relevant here:

(1) /etc/kernel-img.conf does not belong to *any* package.  It is a
*system-wide* configuration file that affects the installation of
kernel image packages, but it does not belong to *any* package.
Therefore, it cannot be *replaced* by installing a package.

There is a package that is intended for use by those who wish to create
their own custom kernel image packages.  It is called kernel-package.
And it contains a *sample file* in the format of /etc/kernel-img.conf.
It is called /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/examples/sample.kernel-img.conf.
But the sample file and the configuration file are two different things.
Installing kernel-package will not replace /etc/kernel-img.conf.
kernel-package also contains a "man page" for kernel-img.conf, but it
only documents those options used by the maintainer scripts which
get packaged with kernel image packages created by make-kpkg.
There are other options which are used by the maintainer scripts
that are packaged with official Debian stock kernels that are not
documented in this man page.  And most people don't have kernel-package
installed anyway.  Unless you're building your own custom kernels,
you don't need it.

(2) *You* didn't modify /etc/kernel-img.conf;
but the *Debian installer*, on your behalf,
*did* modify it during installation when it selected grub as the
bootloader.  Changing boot loaders after installation often requires
manually editing this file.

If there is a bug, it would be that there is no documentation
for the official version of /etc/kernel-img.conf, or that /etc/kernel-img.conf
does not belong to a package, or both.  But as for it's operation,
it is working as designed.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :