Re: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:25:49 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:04:19 -0400 (EDT), Peter E wrote:
> >
> > As described in discussion a few weeks back, Lilo is installed
> > in place of Grub in Squeeze on the IBM NetVista 6578-RAU
> > here.  That's necessary for now.
> >
> > But then a system update runs update-initramfs which tries
> > to run update-grub which is not there.  I should be able
> > to comment out the update-grub; and the assumption that
> > grub is present should warrant a bug report.
> >
> > Any advice or comments?
>
> Hello again, Peter.  This is not a bug.  The maintainer script for the
> new kernel image package is trying to run update-grub because it is
> being told to do so by entries in /etc/kernel-img.conf.  This file is
> classified as a "configuration file", and therefore user modifications
> to it are preserved.  The Debian installer put lines in that file for
> grub during installation.  See another recent thread for another
> report of the same roblem:

except that I didn't modify it, so it should have been overwritten with
a file which would have allowed lilo to run.

I seem to remember being asked if I wanted config files overwritten
when they are found to differ from what the package wants to install.

Brian