Re: problem installing grub-legacy

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:46:28 -0400 (EDT), Joey Hess wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>    Aren't you glad you use Dial?  Don't you wish everybody did?
>>
>> s/Dial/lilo/
>
> Given that I have in the past spent up to 2 days remotely walking family
> members through fixing machines that booted to "LI" or "LIL" .. no.
> I only wish lilo on enemies -- but still prefer enemies use soap.

Interesting.  I've been using Linux for 10 years, and I've never seen,
or even heard of, the error you describe.  I'm sorry your family members
had trouble with it.  For me, it has always worked perfectly.

>> But seriously, it's obvious that somebody messed up with the package
>> dependencies.  There's not much point in having a grub-legacy package
>> if it can't be installed, now is there?
>
> Except that's is clearly not the case that grub-legacy cannot be
> installed, if you actually look at the dependencies of grub-common. I
> have grub-legacy installed here, works fine.

The OP claimed that he could not install.  I took his word for it.
But he has subsequently found a way to circumvent his problems.
I'm glad he found a way to do what he wanted to do.  But I frankly
don't see why grub-legacy requires grub-common.  It brings in a lot
of unnecessary files, from what I can see.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :