Re: problem installing grub-legacy

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 05:25:34AM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> hi,
>
> Long story, I don't want Grub2/Grub-PC, etc, but get upgraded to it. Now
> I can't go back, because grub-common is listed as a dependency of grub-
> legacy. But the grub-common package has been upgraded for use with
> version 2 only.

I posted this past week about grub-common confusion that turned a simple
legacy install into a long session.  Grub-common rides in with legacy and
makes an /etc/grub.d directory and scatters files all over the /boot/grub
directory, including grub.cfg .  But then it just sits there and tries to
look like Grub-PC is installed.

My system still boots off /boot/grub/menu.lst, kernel updates and update-grub still
modify menu.lst, ^c still drops into a grub 0.97 terminal from the boot
menu.

I did another legacy install last night.  I do think I remember getting
Grub-PC in some dependency resolution, but I was able to remove it and
install legacy without forcing anything.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/