Re: gstreamer in squeeze

Some time ago (Fri, 29 Jan 2010 01:04:58 -0800), I reported a problem
with gstreamer in Debian. The problem was that even though audio
playback under Alsa worked fine, applications (like rhythmbox, listen,
amarok and so on) that depended on gstreamer would produce only
silence. I concluded:

  |> So it's some problem either in gstreamer itself or in its negotiation
  |> with Alsa, a problem which didn't exist before the upgrade.

I spent a lot of time trying to work out where the problem lay, and
learned an awful lot about gstreamer in the process (stuff that I was
very glad to learn), but never found a solution.

I'm happy, though, to report that a recent upgrade to gstreamer (to
0.10.28-1 in current testing) fixed the problem. I don't know what got
fixed or how (I would love to know), but more important is that things
work very well now.

Thanks to whoever was responsible for this,

Jim