Re: Intel Core i5 integrated graphics

On 2010-03-27, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Intel i5 Graphics are enormously more powerful than a G550.

Good to hear that.

I just need my xterms and browser. Maybe sometime watch a youtube video,
but that's about it. And for people like me this new Intel graphics
thing seems like a perfect match. Well, maybe the previous generation of
integrated graphics would have suited me as well.

The motherboard issue with these new H55 boards is not quite as clear as
it seems. I understand that this is new technology and maybe it would
have been wise to see the next batch of motherboards. But right now the
choice was between plain Intel and Gigabyte or Asus with features and
more expansion possibilities. And when some review mentioned some doubts
about the capacitors in Intel board (not that they weren't good, but
that they weren't the top quality), that made me take the Gigabyte.  The
problem (or how I see it) is that the Intel H55 board offered now isn't
the kind of rock-solid oozing with quality -type of product that I would
expect and pay a premium for. But instead it's kind of reference
implementation that actually is quite moderately priced. Don't know,
maybe it's just too cheap to be taken seriously :-)

This is getting a bit silentpcreviewish post, but if someone is in the
market for this kind of desktop machine, this is what I got:
Intel Core i5-670 3.46GHz processor
Prolimatech Megahalems cpu cooler
Nexus Value 430W power supply
Antec P183 case
3 x Noctua NF-S12B FLX fans (with ultra low noise adapter in use)
Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H motherboard

The whole bunch works fine and quiet out-of-the-box without the need for
underclocking or undervolting that the old processors required (and that
Intel boards don't support). In this light the plain Intel motherboard
would have been sufficient. Anyway, so far I'm extremely happy with the
result.

Pasi