HAL UID ?

Per some recent discussion here of command line mounting of plugable
storage, I am investigating pmount and pmount-hal. In the man page
for pmount-hal there is this:

The first parameter (device) must be the HAL UDI or the device node of

I know that I can use pmount-hal with /dev/... but it might be useful
to know how to use the HAL UDI.

But I can't find directions for discovering its value. It is not the
UUID of the drive because, according to the error message, the HAL UID
must start with the string '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/'. Of course
there is no top level directory /org on my computer, so what is the
import of this message?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net